Wednesday 6 April 2011

Giraffes - Act One, Scene Two.


This isn't going to make much sense unless you start at the beginning - Giraffes - Act One, Scene One.


SCENE TWO.

(Kirsty's house.)

KIRSTY. So you told him?

ANNA. Yes.

KIRSTY. And?

ANNA. ...he...

KIRSTY. He didn't like it?

ANNA. ...no...

KIRSTY. He did like it?

ANNA. No.

KIRSTY. What did he think?

ANNA. He wasn't sure.

(Pause.)

ANNA. I'm not sure.

KIRSTY (softly). Oh come on, Anna.

ANNA. No - you're right. I am sure.

KIRSTY. ...so...?

ANNA. So?

KIRSTY. So where do we go from here?

(Pause.)

ANNA. Who's "we"?

(Pause.)

ANNA. Sorry.

KIRSTY. No no. It's alright.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. I meant us.

ANNA. Oh - just one day at a time.

(Pause.)

ANNA. For the time being.

(Pause.)

ANNA. See how things settle.

KIRSTY. It's okay. I won't push you.

ANNA. No. I won't push you, either.

(Pause.)

ANNA. Nor will I push him.

(Pause.)

ANNA. You do understand. Don't you?

KIRSTY. Of course I do. I don't want to push him either.

ANNA. But you've never met him.

KIRSTY. But I still don't want to push him.

ANNA. Why not?

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. Because he's a part of you. And I don't like pushing people anyway.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. Let's hope that he doesn't want to push us either.

ANNA. I just want everything to be decent. Decent and honorable. You do understand?

KIRSTY. Of course I understand.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. Decent and honorable. It's why I love you.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. So...

ANNA. So?

KIRSTY. Tonight.

ANNA. What would you like to do?

KIRSTY. I want to be seen with you. I want us to go out together. I want people to say "they're together."

ANNA. "God they look beautiful!"

KIRSTY. Precisely. Where shall we go?

ANNA. Somewhere intimate. Not flash.

KIRSTY. I know the place. It's lovely.

ANNA. Is it local?

KIRSTY. Quite. Why?

ANNA. I can stay the night now.

KIRSTY. Great.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. You're so gorgeous.

ANNA. So are you.

(Pause.)

ANNA. I've never lied.

KIRSTY. Never?

ANNA. Not for years.

KIRSTY. Such a good girl.

(Pause.)

ANNA. That's why I haven't stayed the night before. Not because I didn't want to.

KIRSTY. I know.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. And he never -

ANNA. I told him that I was visiting a friend. That was true.

KIRSTY. It is true. We are friends. Amongst other things.


Next - Giraffes - Act One, Scene Three.

No comments:

Post a Comment