Thursday 5 May 2011

Giraffes - Act One, Scene Ten


This isn't going to make much sense unless you start at the beginning - Giraffes - Act One, Scene One.

SCENE TEN.

(Kirsty's house. As at the end of scene eight.)

KIRSTY. I just don't like you sleeping with him.

ANNA. He must feel similarly about you.

KIRSTY. But it's not the same, is it? It can't be like it is with us.

ANNA. Can't it?

KIRSTY. Of course not.

ANNA. You don't have to make any sacrifices. I do.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. You -

ANNA. Decent and honorable, Kirsty. Decent and honorable.

KIRSTY. But it doesn't feel all that decent or honorable, does it? Sharing.

ANNA. I have never deceived and I am never going to willfully disappoint.

KIRSTY. But you are disappointing -

ANNA. Sorry!

KIRSTY. You're disappointing me.

ANNA. Which is worse? To disappoint one person totally, or to disappoint two people quite a lot?

KIRSTY. That's a riddle.

ANNA. No, it's true.

KIRSTY. But no-one's really happy with the way things stand at the moment.

ANNA. I am.

(Silence.)

ANNA. Aren't you?

KIRSTY. I am when we're together. Blissfully, in fact. But I want more now. I think that we've got to a stage where -

ANNA. That's enough. We'll cross bridges when I choose to reach them, not before. And both of you will have to meet and talk when we do. And neither of you are ready for that yet. Alright?

KIRSTY. Alright.

ANNA. Good.

(Silence. Anna softens again.)

ANNA. Sorry about that. What shall we do tonight?

Next -
Giraffes - Act One, Scene Eleven.

No comments:

Post a Comment