Sunday 8 May 2011

Shirley Bassey - Something (1970/ No. 4/ 22 weeks/ UA)


"Something in the way he knows
And all I have to do is think of him
Something in the way he shows me
I don't want to leave him now
You know I believe and how"

When a song is as great - and as true - as George Harrison's quiet, awed meditation on love in the first place, then you can totally reinterpret it musically, and it's power will still be at the heart of it. It's a very personal song, but that doesn't mean that it can't suit very diverse personalities.

This is vast, and spellbinding. The arrangement is relatively subdued for the verses; grand like a Bond theme for the middle eights ("I don't know! I don't know!"), and then grows and swells to the peak of big period sophistication for the culmination.

You don't doubt for a moment that the man Shirley knows really does have that "something".

No comments:

Post a Comment