Wednesday 18 May 2011

Giraffes - Act One, Scene Fourteen.


This isn't going to make much sense unless you start at the beginning - Giraffes - Act One, Scene One.

SCENE FOURTEEN.

(Anna and Simon's house.)

SIMON. You seem happy.

ANNA. Yes. Yes I do feel happy. Do you feel happy?

SIMON. If you're happy then that makes me feel happy.

ANNA. Are you sure about that?

(Pause.)

SIMON. Yes.

(Pause.)

SIMON. Are you still happy?

ANNA. I was happier before we started this.

(Pause.)

ANNA. You're not happy are you?

SIMON. It still does make me happy to see you happy.

ANNA. Really?

SIMON. Of course.

ANNA. Always?

SIMON. Almost always.

ANNA. When not?

SIMON. I never resent it.

(Pause.)

ANNA. When doesn't it make you happy?

SIMON. When I don't feel capable of happiness myself. But when you're happy... It always makes life more vivid and exciting.

(Pause.)

SIMON. Look, seeing you happy never makes me unhappy. Sincerely.
(Pause.)

ANNA. What would make you happy?

SIMON. I'd still like to meet her.

(Pause.)

ANNA. Would you like a holiday?

SIMON. Half term?

ANNA. Yes.

SIMON. Where?

ANNA. The island.

SIMON. Can we afford it?

ANNA. Yes.

SIMON. Then yes. I would.

ANNA. With Kirsty.

SIMON. Oh.

(Pause.)

ANNA. I think that the time has come.

SIMON. It has.

ANNA. But I don't want to do it any other way.

SIMON. No.

(Pause.)

ANNA. This city... Work... A few hours. It wouldn't be right, would it?

SIMON. No.

(Pause.)

SIMON. It wouldn’t.

Next -
Giraffes - Act One, Scene Fifteen.

No comments:

Post a Comment