Sunday 17 July 2011

Giraffes - Act Two, Scene Five.

This isn't going to make much sense unless you start at the beginning - Giraffes - Act One, Scene One.

SCENE FIVE.

(Beach. Anna points.)

ANNA. See that?

KIRSTY. White thing?

ANNA. Mm.

KIRSTY. What is it?

ANNA. Hotel. Built but never used.

KIRSTY. When?

ANNA. Fifteen, twenty years ago.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. Why?

ANNA. Don’t know. No roads lead there.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. You ever been there?

ANNA. Yes. First time that we came here. Takes ages to reach.

KIRSTY. What’s it like?

ANNA. Huge. Peeling. Unsafe-looking.

KIRSTY. Did you go inside?

ANNA. I wanted to. But Simon saw a rat and insisted that we go home.

(Pause.)

ANNA. I'm glad that it never did come into use. I like us being the only people here.

KIRSTY. Mm.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. How long can we stay out for?

ANNA. As long as we like. We can do anything here.

KIRSTY. Mm.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. Would you like...

ANNA. No.

KIRSTY. Oh.

ANNA. Well... Yes, but not here.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. Why not?

ANNA. Somebody might see us.

KIRSTY. But you just said that nobody lives here.

ANNA. True.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. So why not?

ANNA. I just don't want to.

KIRSTY. Tell me why.

ANNA. You don't want to know.

KIRSTY. I do.

(Pause.)

ANNA. This isn't our territory.

KIRSTY. Whose is it?

(Pause.)

ANNA. Mine and Simon's.

(Pause.)

ANNA. Sorry. I just can't... here.

(Pause.)

ANNA. The first time that we came here I slept with Simon on this beach.

KIRSTY. Yes. I really don't need to know this.

ANNA. Sorry.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. No, I'm sorry.

ANNA. We could always move on to somewhere else.

KIRSTY. I'm not in the mood now.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. What was it like.

ANNA. It was nice. It was a beautiful night. I felt very happy.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. What about the second time that you came here?

ANNA. We were going to go out onto the beach again but Simon ended up bottling out. He felt overawed by the last time that we went here, he said. He didn't think that he could perform. I wasn't really very interested in the idea of performance.

(Pause.)

ANNA. You do understand, don't you?

Next -
Giraffes - Act Two, Scene Six.

No comments:

Post a Comment