Thursday 28 April 2011

Giraffes - Act One, Scene Eight.


This isn't going to make much sense unless you start at the beginning - Giraffes - Act One, Scene One.

SCENE EIGHT.

(Kirsty's house. Kirsty and Anna are reclining.)

KIRSTY. What do you do with him?

(Pause.)

ANNA. I thought that you didn't like me talking about him.

KIRSTY. I don't mind at the moment.

(Pause.)

ANNA. We make each other meals. We help each other with the housework. We talk about work with each other. We see our friends together. We read the same books and we see the same films and we talk about them with each other.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. No I mean what do you do together.

ANNA. I don't know what you mean.

(She does.)

KIRSTY. Yes you do.

ANNA. No I don't.

(Pause.)

ANNA. You'll have to give me a clue.

KIRSTY. Does he...?

(She whispers into her ear.)

ANNA. No he doesn't.

(Pause.)

ANNA. Would you? For me?

KIRSTY. I'll see what I can do.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. So what does he do then?

ANNA. Secret.

KIRSTY. (Softly) Oh come on Anna.

ANNA. Sorry. Private. You wouldn't like him to know what we do, would you?

(Silence.)

ANNA. Would you?

KIRSTY. I'd like everybody to know what we do.

(Pause.)

ANNA. I hope that you haven't told anyone.

KIRSTY. No.

ANNA. Good.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. Do you like it with him?

ANNA. Yes.

KIRSTY. Why?

ANNA. 'Cause it makes me feel happy.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. But I thought that you didn't fancy him?

ANNA. I don't. I love him.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. But you do fancy me though.

ANNA. You know that I do. All the time.

KIRSTY. And do you love me?

ANNA. Of course I do. Like no-one else.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. So therefore... I have more to offer you than him, then?

ANNA. (Not fazed or offended at all.) You didn't meet me when I was at university. You've never lived with me. You never met my father. You haven't spent a month abroad with me. You've never seen me in despair.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. Sorry.

ANNA. It's not a criticism.

(Pause.)

ANNA. And what's more, you know that it isn't.

(Pause.)

KIRSTY. Its just... I think that when we get together we have something so special. Unique. Not like anything else that I've ever experienced anyway. I don't like to think of somebody else touching you after that. Because that person would be getting it wrong.

(Pause.)

ANNA. And I hope that you never do see me in despair, either.

Next -
Giraffes - Act One, Scene Nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment