Thursday 3 February 2011

Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - Spanish Flea (1965/ No. 3/ 20 weeks/ A & M)



The most addictive record ever made. Whenever I hear it, I always have to play it again, usually several times. If I were a musicologist I could tell you why, but I think the way that it seems exceptionally brief might be part of the reason, too short for it's cheery appeal to even start to pall. Also, even I can tell that the way that, in lieu of a bridge, we get a rinky tinky harpsichord thing coming in for only 15 seconds, an instrument that hasn't been used at all for the rest of the tune, is a stroke of genius.

I can't imagine hearing this thing ever not making me a little bit happier, even if only by an iota.

(I've never properly heard the vocal version, although Homer does sing the chorus in an episode of The Simpsons. I don't really want to either - The pleasing tactile arrangement of this isn't going to be enhanced by novelty lyrics about a flea tourist, is it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment