Thursday 7 March 2019

A Comedy On This Day: Dad's Army - The Battle Of Godfrey's Cottage (8 March 1969)



 One of the two lost episodes recovered in 2001, watching this reminded me of Nancy Banks-Smith's peerless review of the repeat.

 I do find Dad's Army episodes a bit busy at times. I would have been happier seeing more than a minute of Godfrey's tea with his two spinster sisters, before it becomes disrupted and overturned by the usual capers (although watching the two old ladies accommodate themselves to the situation has an English absurdist quality). The actress who played the elder sister Dolly (Amy Dalby) died two days after the broadcast. She was born in 1888, a link far back in time that probably informs her performance as Dolly Godfrey, an out-of-her-time Edwardian figure who barely registers that she's now living in 1940.

1 comment:

  1. I make every effort to spend my evenings with my family emulating Pvt. Charles Godfrey MM; "Oh dear"!

    ReplyDelete