Thursday 10 January 2019

A Comedy On This Day: After Henry - Intellectual Aspirations (10 January 1989)


 The one with a young Stephen Tompkinson as Clare's new boyfriend.
 I am intrigued to see that Sarah reads the Independent, in its dauntingly serious and beautifully designed eighties heyday. My theory is that Henry would have read the Times (or maybe the Telegraph) and that the launch of the new title in 1986 would have coincided with Sarah becoming a widow. She probably gets to read a second paper at Bygone books when Russell has finished with it (Telegraph or Guardian).

 I also note that Clare's top floor flat is furnished with two matching sofas. It does looks very comfortable and inviting. Not many people would think to buy more than one, but I would imagine that Henry left his daughter a generous legacy.

 After Henry is rare sitcom that presents a world that I know that I'd actually enjoy living in.

No comments:

Post a Comment